Some Lehigh University systems are protected by our internet firewall, and require you to use our VPN (Virtual Private Network) software to gain access from off-campus. Lehigh uses Cisco's AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client to provide this service, which creates a secure tunnel through the internet into Lehigh's network.
First, you'll need to download and install the VPN client software onto your computer, phone or other device. Stepwise instructions with screenshots are available.
- Software for desktop and laptop computers can be downloaded from our campus software repository, the vpn server itself, vpn.lehigh.edu, or the Cisco website.
- For Android - Search for 'Cisco Anyconnect' in the Google Play store.
- For iOS (iPhone, iPad) - Search for 'Cisco Anyconnect' in Apple's App Store.
Second, in all cases, you'll want to configure the software to connect to vpn.lehigh.edu
The software will present an option for "GeneralAccess" or "LibraryResources".
- GeneralAccess routes only network traffic destined for Lehigh through the VPN tunnel. It's more efficient, and should be the default option.
- LibraryResources routes all of your network traffic through the VPN to Lehigh's campus network. This option is needed to connect to some Lehigh Library services that require it, or if you're on an un-secured wi-fi network, and want to encrypt all of your traffic.
The software will also require you to enter your Lehigh username and password. Note - If you have DUO configured for 2FA, you'll need to enter "push" in the second authentication box in order to generate a push request to your mobile phone.
Once you make the connection, you should be able to visit websites and systems that are not otherwise available from the internet.