Guidelines for Host
If you are not already a regular Zoom user, follow the instructions for Getting Started in Zoom.
Learn about the host controls in Zoom before initiating your session: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362603-What-Are-the-Host-Controls-
Scheduling your Session
- Log into your Zoom account via https://lehigh.zoom.us
- Find the scheduled meeting by going to "Meetings" and click on "Schedule a New Meeting" button.
- Complete form as required and save. Add to your calendar and copy the invitation.
- Send email invitation to participants.
- When ready for host your meeting, log into Zoom app.
For more information on "How Do I Start Or Join A Scheduled Meeting As The Host?" https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362423-
Best Practices for Zoom Presenters/Hosts
When joining the meeting as a host, be sure you are using the Zoom App and NOT the invite link in order to have full functionality as a meeting host.
Securing your Session
There are several ways to help secure your meeting to prevent outside disruption from anonymous users ("Zoom bombing"). In order to keep your session secure, while at the same time ensuring a relatively seamless joining process for your participants, we recommend securing your session with the use of a password. Passwords can be customized so that they are easy for a participant to remember (course name/number, program abbreviation, etc). Remember that you will need to share the password in correspondence with your participants. Enable and set a password for your session as follows:
- Create a new meeting or edit the settings on a current meeting.
- Under Meeting Options, place a check next to "Require meeting password". Use the default password or edit the field to create a custom password.
- Click Save.
Additional information about securing your Zoom session can be found here: https://confluence.cc.lehigh.edu/display/LKB/Securing+Zoom+meetings
Sharing your Screen
- Click the Share Screen button located in your meeting controls.
- Select the screen you want to share. You can also choose an individual application that is already open on your computer, the desktop, a whiteboard, or iPhone/iPad.
- (Optional) Enable these features:
- Check Share Computer Sound: If you check this option, any sound played by your computer will be shared in the meeting.
- Check Optimize for full screen video clip: Check this if you will be sharing a video clip in full screen mode. Do not check this otherwise, as it may cause the shared screen to be blurry.
- Click Share.
- Zoom will automatically switch to full screen to optimize the shared screen view. To exit full-screen, click Exit Full Screen in the top-right corner or press the Esc key.
- To disable automatic full screen when viewing a shared screen, disable this option in your desktop client settings: Enter full screen automatically when a participant shares screen.
Recording your Session
If you choose to record your Zoom session, you will need to do so manually from within your meeting once it has started. Use the instructions for "Recording a meeting locally" on the following page: https://confluence.cc.lehigh.edu/display/LKB/Recording+in+Zoom
When the time comes for the committee to confer in private, please ask the candidate and their guests to leave the zoom session. The host may remove participants in the event an guest requires assistance to end their session. You can call/email/text the candidate when it is time to rejoin. Alternatively, breakout rooms may also be used. If you choose to use breakout rooms in your session to allow participants to confer privately, be sure to enable them in advance and assign participants to their breakout room prior to the session.
More information about breakout rooms can be found here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206476313-Managing-Video-Breakout-Rooms
Guidelines for Participants
Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing and recording tool. Zoom combines video conferencing, online meetings, and mobile collaboration into one platform.
Before your Zoom Session
Be sure the computer or device you are using to connect to the session has a webcam, microphone, and speakers connected to it.(It is helpful to have a headset with a mic.)
Connect with a reliable high-speed Internet connection, using a hard-wired connection if available.*
Joining a Zoom Session
- Click the URL that is in the description section of your calendar event or calendar reminder,
- OR Copy the URL from the email invitation and paste it into your browser's address bar,
- OR Start the meeting from your Zoom client directly. Click 'Join a Meeting' and then enter your scheduled meeting ID to start the meeting (The meeting ID is the 9-digit number at the end of the URL.)
After you have connected
Click the link to test that the correct microphone and speakers are selected and that both are working properly.
You can then click to ‘Join Audio Conference by Computer.’
Once you’ve joined a Zoom session, move your mouse over the lower edge of the window to check whether your microphone is open or muted. Your mic needs to be open when talking, but if you are not actively speaking you may want to consider muting your mic if you anticipate background noise. (Click the microphone icon to mute or unmute as needed. Use space bar on keyboard to temporarily unmute while talking.)
Best Practices for Zoom Meeting Attendees