- Blender - Probably the most popular modeler for VR developers. Free and open source with a large community and great deal of documentation and tutorials.
- SketchUp - Google's basic 3D modeling app. Very low learning curve with good tutorials to get you up and running.
- Remix 3D & Paint 3D - Free 3D paint tool and 3D model library from Microsoft. Create your own or browse and download for use in AR & VR applications.
- Tilt Brush & Blocks - More tools from Google which allow you to actually create models first in VR, then export them into a game engine such as Unity for use in projects.
- 3DS Max, Maya, etc - While these modeling tools from Autodesk can probably produce top of the line content, they do not offer VR support by default and require paid plug-ins.