Selected social media for classroom use: YouTube
By this point, you can you tell me already
- How might it be useful in teaching?
- What concerns do / should you have about using it with students?
Two uses that I'd like to highlight
- Cultural geography
- Train-packing, 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ScexNfYbBQ
- Train-packing, 1991: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf8Ig2M3Zq0
...and one technological essential: embedding videos. For example, here is the 2008 train video embedded in a webpage.
- Instructions for embedding: here's a written explanation; you can also watch a variety of videos that discuss different formats (e.g., ppt vs. a blog).
Can you envision using YouTube with your students at some point this year?