Overview of Online Learning Advisory Committee
Online Learning Advisory Committee
Spring 2013: Provost Farrell and Vice Provost Bruce Taggart formed a new Online Learning Advisory Committee and charged it to advance campus discussion about the role online learning should play at Lehigh and develop a draft position paper regarding the role of online learning and Distance Education at Lehigh.
In the past decade distance learning at Lehigh University has grown significantly in all four colleges. During this period of rapid growth new distance education programs have been developed, full on-line degree offerings have expanded, and new internet based technologies have dramatically changed the delivery mode of our course delivery. The primary objective of distance education at Lehigh is to develop and deliver the highest quality professional and continuing education programs to students throughout the world using the latest internet based technologies.
In order to best position Lehigh to develop and deliver the highest quality distance education programming we must properly review, assess, and plan these offerings which reflect the overall mission of the university.
The charge to the Online Learning Advisory Committee will be to:
- Develop a draft "position" as to what should be Lehigh's level and depth of engagement in Distance Education.
- Consider current areas of strength, and areas where we should be stronger;
- Identify important enablers and hurdles to moving towards named goals;
- i.e. if you recommend a few faculty be encouraged to develop large online courses - how do we do that?
- With the above goals for the future in mind, review academic, administrative, and technological issues arising from all programming offered through Office of Distance Education (ODE) and the potential for ODE to support future directions. Make recommendations for changes to the Provost, Vice Provost for Library and Technology Services, and the Deans’ Council, as necessary. Specific areas to review and report on include:
- Strategic planning, program planning, marketing;
- Issues of academic quality as they apply to online learning;
- Administrative policies and procedures for distance students;
- Proposals for technology upgrades and enhancements;
- Funding levels and revenue sharing policies as applied to online programs;
- Faculty compensation and incentive systems; and
- Intellectual property rights as they relate to online programming.
- Determine the most productive relationship between the Office of Distance Education and other facets of electronically mediated instruction within the University’s overall academic program.
- Develop and report as necessary on the status of distance education at Lehigh.
More information is available at https://citl.lehigh.edu/lehigh-online
Chair: Greg Reihman
James Dearden - Professor, Economics
Emil Gnasso - Registrar
Andrea Harmer - Dir., Web-Based Instruction, Mat. Sci & Engr.
Peggy Kane - Manager, DE Online Services, Library & Technology Services
Jacob Kazakia - Professor, Mechanical Engr & Mechanics
Ilena Key - Mgr., Instructional Technology Consulting, Library & Technology Services
Jennifer Jensen - Deputy Provost, Academic Affairs
Linda Lowe Krentz - Professor, Biological Sciences
Donald Morris - Assoc. Professor, Earth & Environ Science
Peg Portz - Director, Distance Ed & Summer Sessions, Library & Technology Services
Greg Reihman - Assoc. Vice Provost and Director, Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning, Library & Technology Services
Jim Roberts - Associate Professor, Chemistry
Tamas Terlaky - Professor, Industrial & Systems Engr.
Ed Whitley - Assoc. Professor, English
Sherri Yerk-Zwickl - Director, Planning & Administration, Library & Technology Services
Bruce Taggart - Vice Provost, Library & Technology Services
Helen Zuercher - Executive Secretary, Library & Technology Services
Meetings will be held bi-weekly during the fall and spring semesters, or as deemed necessary.
Minutes are available at this page: Online Learning Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes