Child pages
  • 2017-08-10 Data Governance Meeting Minutes
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Data Governance and Standards Meeting
Thursday, August 10, 2017 10:00am – 11:30am
Fairchild-Martindale Library, Room 625

1. Second read - Proposal submitted by Jen O’Brien-Knotts - Submission 7/6/2017 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XLdB10pYzESmuZuLLr0FAChvGBOlOYZt-QW-RmDC-9E/edit#gid=1159476906

 https://confluence.cc.lehigh.edu/display/datastandards/20.19+Citizenship+Codes+-+STVCITZ+Validation+Table : This should be updated to match the Word version of the document

• Page 47 - Comments should be expanded as to when each value should be utilized

Jen was absent from the meeting. It was anticipated Nick Shimmel would provide a status update, however, he had not received information and was unable to report.


2. Preferred Name (Jen O’Brien-Knotts) : At the July 13th meeting Jen reported she is going to Donald Outing (Office of Diversity) to get the policy formally approved by John Simon.

Since Jen was absent there was no update on the status.


3. Update - STVSBGI Clean Up Taskforce (Casey Petroski): At the July 13th meeting Jen reported she placed a request with Ellucian – what’s the status?

Both Jen and Casey were absent, so there was no update on the status.


4. Update - Supplemental Data Engine (Allen Taylor) : At the July 13th meeting Allen indicated this would be on hold until September. The committee recommended that someone in LTS be responsible for the supplemental data forms in Banner.

Allen reported this is still on hold until September.


5. Update - Address Format Clean Up Taskforce (Allen Taylor/Diana Weaver) Who is willing to replace Diana? 

Rose Anne asked if anyone has replaced Diana? Does anyone want to volunteer to replace her? She asked Manny if he is willing? • Many indicated no, since this is a Bursar Office issue.

• Yenny asked shouldn’t someone let Mike King know that a replacement from the Bursar’s Office is needed?

At the July 13th meeting Manny reported he feels Runner and QAS are the two companies that could provide this service and asked who should be included in the group to look at Runner. Toni Lee indicated she would volunteer someone from her office (HR), perhaps Chris. Yenny feels someone in her area (Institutional Research) who controls data should be in the group.

Manny reported they held a short WebEx on Runner yesterday (8/9/17). He needs to get cost information for the product and indicated they have a 3-month free trial subscription. He feels a big plus is that Runner has the integration already built into Banner. The other problem to deal with is the piece with the self-service component.

Ron Wagner noted with Runner you are able to standardize addresses by address type. So, if departments have an address they use exclusively it could be tailored and customized to their specific use. It not only verifies but corrects addresses for all the tables in Banner that store addresses. This would be useful for the emergency contacts table and the student side tables that store addresses.

Jerry Lennon pointed out that he likes the national change of address for the international standardization component.

• Rose Anne asked if Runner can be used with other products like Axiom,  Captiva, or Jump Forward - all of which have the ability to push addresses into Banner
Ron replied he was not certain if anyone asked that during yesterday’s meeting. He noted if you have a CSV file you could run a clean data before it is even imported into Banner.

Jerry noted you could use address types for cell phones too.

• Jerry noted there is also a Geo mapping component that they could request more information about.

• Rose Anne asked Manny if he had a timeframe to move forward? Manny indicated he needs more information first.

6. Update - Person Record/Common Matching Taskforce (Nick Shimmel)
Nick reported he has no update at this time. There are some action items but he hasn’t pushed them forward. One is expanding the cross-reference table, but he hasn’t had time to meet.

7. Update - Banner 9 (Manny Pena)
Manny reported that information went out on July 7th. Feedback he received from Bob Siegfried indicates Banner 9 is very different from Banner 8.

• Allen commented that in his experience, most all of the new people using Banner 9 have had no problem, it’s people who have used Banner 8 that are having some difficulty with the transition.

Manny indicated he would like to refresh some old data before he makes Banner 9 available for registration. Banner version 8 could be used if necessary.

• Randy Wambold asked when would the campus upgrade be organized and tested?
Manny will be working on that.

• Rose Anne asked if at least one person in each department would be trained?
Manny indicated he and Susan Donchez have been working on creating tips and tricks to share.

• Allen mentioned Ellucian did a decent job with their navigation guide; it’s a 40-page document with step-by-step instructions. He indicated the Registrar’s Office used portions of it when they transitioned users to Banner 9, but noted it has a little too much detail for the general user. He will email a link to Rose Anne.

8. Update - Information Security and Using Lehigh credentials to log into Banner (Keith/Colin)
Colin is working with Tom Smull to get some things set up with Banner 9 for single sign-on. Banner only accounts now need to come back out to have accounts that live within LDAP. He’s been working on that. Also working on updating policies on multifactor authentication and using Connect as our first place.

Discussion followed.
• Rose Anne asked if everything would need to go through Connect?
Colin replied he’s not certain if a LIN/PIN can be used in Banner 9.

• Greg Skinner indicated a LIN/PIN is available in Banner 9, so maybe for the system accounts we could do that too. He will need to look into this. Greg added for any cloud solution you need to use Connect.
Colin pointed out that Banner is maintained here, so you can log on direct and you don’t need to use the Connect sign-on. Not many people on campus use the LIN/PIN to access information.

• Allen noted that some students still use their LIN/PIN, so he would like to be careful since we don’t really know for certain someone’s identity until they provide more information.
• Sean Shappell commented that he’s always had the impression we don’t maintain accounts for all the alumni.
Colin indicated otherwise, noting Lehigh does maintain alumni accounts and will reopen them when requested. If they aren’t used for several years then accounts are closed, but will be reopened. Colin indicated we have the framework for alumni accounts in identity management.

• Sean commented this could also create a lot more work with alumni wanting to keep their email addresses.
Colin pointed out that a computing account never really goes away it’s just the access that is removed. When an account is converted to alumni status, it removes access to active directory, Gmail and the calendar, and moves the account into another LDAP area. There are 5 LDAP areas and it’s very technical. What will alumni use when they want to log into Banner? Part of this discussion came out of the Banner 9 transition. Colin shared with Allen that he recently had a call about someone not being able to find the self-service link on the Registrar’s page and asked if something changed to make finding the link more difficult?

• Allen noted it’s still there but a quick link may have moved.
• Greg feels there is a way to make linking to Banner 9 available for alumni.
• Rose Anne asked if Manny would be sending out new links to the departments? He indicated yes.

Next Meeting Thursday, September 14, 10:00am – 11:30am - EWFM 625


August 10, 2017 Meeting Attendance

Area

Name

Present

Chair - LTS Project Management

Rose Anne Martinuzzi

Yes

Internal Audit

Walt Conway

Yes

Admissions – UG & Graduate – FinAid, Faculty

Jennifer O'Brien


Admissions - Undergraduate

Bruce D. Bunnick


Admissions – Undergraduate & Fin Aid

Julian Kluk


Admissions – Undergraduate & Fin Aid

Nick Shimmel

Yes

Advancement

Sean Shappell

Yes

Financial Aid

Jennifer Mertz


Finance – AP & FA, Gen Actg, HR

Kathy Miller


Finance/Payroll

Robert Siegfried

Yes

Finance – AP, Gen Actg

Leslie Snow


Finance - Asset Accounting

Tracey Burton


Finance - Budget

Steve Guttman


Finance - Budget

Mike Weaver

Yes

Finance - Budget

Warren Loller


Finance - Grants

Bob Siegfried

Yes

Finance - Proposals

Tom Meischeid


Finance - Purchasing

Mark Ironside


Finance - Purchasing

Jane Altemose


General

Mary Louise Powers

Yes

Human Resources/Payroll

Toni Lee Febbo


Human Resources/Payroll

Chris Samuel-Maynard

Yes

Institutional Research

Yenny Anderson

Yes

Institutional Research

Henry Zheng


Student

Linda Bell


Student

Allen Taylor

Yes

Student

Nick Shimmel

Yes

Student

Casey Petroski


Student - Billing

Mike King


Student - Billing

Diana Weaver


Student – Faculty

Jen O’Brien


LTS Information Security

Keith Hartranft


LTS Information Security

Colin Foley

Yes

ES

Rich Bauer


ES

Susan Donchez

Yes

ES

Mark Granieri


ES

Debbie Feldman

Yes

ES

Manny Pena

Yes

ES

Greg Skinner

Yes

ES

Ron Wagner

Yes

ES

Randy Wambold

Yes

ES

Kurt Weber

Yes

ES

Mike Aversa


ES

Gerald Lennon

Yes

  • No labels