Child pages
  • 2017-07-13 Data Governance Meeting Minutes
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Data Governance and Standards Meeting Minutes

Thursday, July 13, 10:00am – 11:30am

Fairchild-Martindale Library, Room 625


Previous minutes available at: https://confluence3.cc.lehigh.edu/display/ltsgov/Meeting+Minutes

The following was discussed at the meeting.

  1. First read - Proposal submitted by Jen O’Brien - Submission 7/6/2017 -
    1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XLdB10pYzESmuZuLLr0FAChvGBOlOYZt-QW-RmDC-9E/edit#gid=1159476906
    2. https://confluence.cc.lehigh.edu/display/datastandards/20.19+Citizenship+Codes+-+STVCITZ+Validation+Table : This should be updated to match the Word version of the document. Page 47 - Comments should be expanded as to when each value should be utilized
    3. Rose Anne Martinuzzi suggested holding the discussion of the proposal for another time since there were not enough data stewards present at the meeting. Note: At the close of the meeting Jen requested, and it was agreed, that this will serve as the first read.
  2. Preferred Name (Jen O’Brien):  Rose Anne asked if we’re still waiting on Banner 9 implementation? Jen indicated yes, and reported she is going to Donald Outing (Office of Diversity) to get the policy formally approved by John Simon. Recently a campus message went out from D. Outing’s office about the upcoming changes concerning use of preferred names

    1. It was suggested to add someone from Finance to this sub-committee Bob Siegfried? Walt Conway?

  3. Reminder the Data Standards Manual is ready for individuals to update: Rose Anne reported that updating the Data Standards Manual has been flagged under the Strategic Analytics Initiative as something that needs to happen soon.

  4. Update - STVSBGI Clean Up Taskforce (Casey Petroski)
    1. Jen reported for Casey Petroski, who was absent from the meeting. There are about 500 records on the report that need to be added to the system. One issue that is problematic is when a school changes their name but does not change their code. If a record already exists the old key is kept, but the name can be changed. Jen has placed a request with Ellucian to see if they have a workaround. Many schools have this problem.
    2. Yenny Anderson asked if there couldn’t be an effective date noted in the record for a name change? Yenny Anderson asked if there couldn’t be an effective date noted in the record for a name change? Jen indicated the code is the key, not necessarily the name. Discussion followed.
      1. Keith Hartranft asked what the codes are used for? Jen indicated there are many things where the Educational Testing Services (ETS) code is used, for example when transfer credits come in. This is not an easy problem to solve. At this time, when Lehigh receives a transcript, we need to look them up by name. The ETS code is needed to line things up.
      2. Keith asked if old codes are archived? Ron Wagner indicated the old codes would stay in place since that is what the institution may want to use. Manny Pena added it might be useful to add a date stamp to the table.
      3. Jen noted some schools change only their name and not the code, so how do you differentiate then? This is not simple.
      4. Ron added that ideally when receiving a transcript from another school the information in Banner should reflect what the institution was called at the time the degree or credit was earned. ETS manages this information as a sort of “central clearinghouse”.

      5. Jen noted that’s where Lehigh gets the source of our data. For brand new schools, we make up a code and then when one is assigned it’s different.

      6. Allen commented there actually is no federal clearinghouse for codes. We enter a code in Banner, so this is an organic growth problem. We use some of the ETS codes, and also use some of our own codes. From Jen’s perspective she is hopeful Ellucian will provide some sort of solution.
      7. Keith noted that as suggested earlier by Manny, extending the table to include a date stamp might help.
        Jen commented it’s not as easy as fixing one table; it’s also about all of the downstream effects.

  5. Update - Supplemental Data Engine (Allen Taylor) - Allen had nothing to report.

    1. Rose Anne asked Allen if he had any idea when they would start working on it? Allen indicated probably soon, maybe September?
    2. Rose Anne asked if it has been tested? Allen reported that last time they met the membership was different, and the group was not keen on the idea. Now the membership has changed so it could be discussed again if we want to talk about this. In earlier discussions the group recommended that someone in LTS be responsible for the supplemental data forms in Banner so that they couldn’t be accidentally deleted.
    3. Rose Anne asked those present if they agreed with this? There were no objections. Allen will work to get this started for September, but noted he still needs to talk with LTS about who will take over this responsibility.

  6. Update - Address format clean up Taskforce (Allen Taylor/Diana Weaver) Allen indicated he had nothing to report. He indicated Diana was handling this in her capacity working in the Bursar’s office and they did not have time to tackle this issue. He suggested that he be replaced with someone who has a stronger commitment to cleaning up the addresses. The Registrar’s office is happy with the addresses they have for students; it’s the Bursar’s office that wanted additional addresses. He would feel better if someone instead of him, either the Bursar or perhaps someone from Human Resources, would co-chair with Diana.

    Discussion followed. There was some confusion about who was using the different types of addresses and whether there was a need for all the various types of addresses (such as Billing 1 and Billing 2 addresses).

    1. Jen asked wasn’t there a field like a business address and something else that has always been the same? Why do we need two? The other part of this committee was for data standards and putting the city and state in the appropriate fields. How are we verifying that the stuff that has been approved is actually being done? Yenny commented that even when things are approved nothing is getting done the way it should because there is no enforcement. Rose Anne pointed out that an updated Data Standards Manual would be helpful. Yenny asked if students have the ability to change their address via Banner Self Serve? Do they have the ability to select “home” or “business” address?
      Jen indicated yes, then we run a QAS to clean up the data and make sure it follows our standards. Yenny noted that when she runs certain reports she often has students with open-ended addresses and the reports will show two home addresses. Jen noted reports could be run to determine the address source.

    2. Jen asked wasn’t there a field like a business address and something else that has always been the same? Why do we need two? The other part of this committee was for data standards and putting the city and state in the appropriate fields. How are we verifying that the stuff that has been approved is actually being done?
      Yenny commented that even when things are approved nothing is getting done the way it should because there is no enforcement. Rose Anne pointed out that an updated Data Standards Manual would be helpful. 

    3. Yenny asked if students have the ability to change their address via Banner Self Serve? Do they have the ability to select “home” or “business” address? Jen indicated yes, then we run a QAS to clean up the data and make sure it follows our standards. Yenny noted that when she runs certain reports she often has students with open-ended addresses and the reports will show two home addresses. Jen noted reports could be run to determine the address source.  

      A lot of discussion followed: Some problems come from the self-serve function, which allows gaps, and some problems from the “no end date address” that then becomes the primary address. Jen pointed out there are end dates and an inactive indicator, this is why we need a committee to do the Banner clean up stuff. Running 3 pieces: Self-Service Banner, batch process, and the piece that goes on the desktop.

    4. Toni Lee asked if LTS is aware that something the campus relies on isn’t working why isn’t someone taking care of the issue? She asked if everyone present today agreed with her, and no one at the meeting disagreed. Toni Lee also pointed out that HR only looks for addresses and therefore assumes that when it’s going through Banner Self Service that the information is correct. Rich Bauer replied that is just not true.

    5. Jen noted that in Admissions, something changed with the piece on their desktop and the staff discovered in May that it wasn’t working, but before that they didn’t realize it wasn’t running. Rose Anne asked if an email could be issued to areas running the update jobs so they are aware of them?

    6. Manny mentioned there are other products out there (like Runner) that could do a better job. The cost of maintenance for QAS is very high. Enterprise Systems can investigate the things that were discussed today, but should we really be replacing QAS with something else? Rich also pointed out that the technology has changed over the years creating difficulty with programming. Keith commented this sounds like software that checks for format and not information validity.

      1. Jen indicated she and Manny have discussed this issue and pointed out that Manny inherited this and he would like to get more value, however he is not the data steward and he will not benefit from this. We as a group need to figure this out and provide input to see what should be implemented.

      2. Manny feels Runner and QAS are the two companies that could provide this service. Jen noted that in the future we will be loading information into Salesforce first and then pushing it into Banner, so she would like to clean up the information before it hits Banner. She would like the information to validate when students enter information. 

      3. Manny asked who should be in the group to look at Runner? Should it include Manny, Kathy Miller, and Jen? Toni Lee indicated she would volunteer someone from her office (HR), perhaps Chris. Yenny feels someone in her area (Institutional Research) who controls data should be on the group. It was suggested to also include a representative from the Advancement office.

      4. Yenny feels the problems she encounters are because the information isn’t flagged or fixed prior to running reports.
        Jen feels data should be cleaned up. Allen commented this comes back to the issue that as an institution he recognizes that we don’t have time, but at some point offices need to prioritize and leadership needs to realize that we need to weed out before implementing new things. He feels this subject merits additional discussion, but as an institution we may find that we don’t have the staffing and time to deal with these things. Toni Lee noted that Banner is the one system at Lehigh that we all reply on. She doesn’t understand why it should be up to individual offices to make certain things are running right. Each week Jerry Lennon from LTS works with HR to make certain that things are running correctly. Perhaps we need a central person who is responsible for taking care of this.

      5. Keith pointed out that another problem is when pushing the information back out you may end up with something different in the third party system. Colin shared that they ran into a problem with Lehigh’s CA and NY offices, so their information was put in as a campus address. He wonders how it was decided to use the campus address when an address isn’t physically located on the Bethlehem campus? Toni Lee pointed out wouldn’t there would be the same issue for Centennial School?
        Ron Wagner suggested what Colin might be seeing is the data being used for the online campus phone directory. Jen still doesn’t understand why one person can have the same address under multiple places. We need to return to the implementation conversation about addresses. Using a hierarchy type might be the best use of the system.
        Rose Anne indicated this would be part of the data analytics initiative, to clean up data. So, does this committee want to put forward now to run reports to clean up the address data?

      6. Manny mentioned part of this issue is use of the tool, the other is the hierarchy. Yenny feels there are different phases to this. Allen asked that he be replaced on the committee with someone who has a stronger interest in a variety of addresses and their uses. It was suggested that someone from Advancement be included. Allen will email Shawn Shappell about this.

  7. Update - Person Record/Common Matching Taskforce (Nick Shimmel) - Jen reported. No progress made yet.
  8. Update - Banner 9 (Manny Pena) Manny reported he sent a list of stuff to voting data governance members. It’s time to take a look at what isn’t working. Forms will go away. He asked those who received the email to please share. He gave thanks to Ron for his work. 
    1. Colin asked if the Admin area of Banner 9 is hooked into Connect Lehigh? Manny indicated no. Greg Skinner reported that when we get to Banner 9 login credentials they do have a path for it. The Banner database accounts are separate and will still require credentials. 

    2. Jen noted when she tried to use Events Management for EM week she needed the proxy setting checked. Has that been fixed? If you don’t have the box checked, then you need to sign in again with the Oracle login because behind the scene it is two different things. Colin commented it remains to be seen if app navigator works seamlessly. Manny noted he still must figure out how to roll out Banner 9 since things will look different.

    3. Randy Wambold asked if jumping from Banner 8 to 9 is difficult? Manny indicated yes, some schools aren’t doing it.

    4. Rose Anne asked about training, would Manny offer it? Manny indicated this must be discussed with Bruce Taggart since Enterprise Systems no longer has a trainer on staff. 
      Rose Anne pointed out the training issue came out in the data analytics work with Gartner. When people are hired or move into a new position they aren’t receiving training.
      Manny indicated that usually people in the individual department provide the training.

    5. Jen feels this governance committee needs to provide a structure. Some departments don’t realize they need to provide training, and some areas have only one coordinator.
      Allen feels all that departments should expect from LTS is to receive basic training. Keith suggested we might talk about building a catalog for various stuff and script it, and then place it in Course Site. It was agreed this is a great idea, but someone needs to take responsibility to own this. 

      1. Rose Anne suggested Kathy Frederick, in her new role as LTS Communications Strategist, might be the person to take this task on. Kathy is working now on updating documentation for LTS. 

      2. Colin suggested a general guideline or recommendation stored in a space for a department might also be useful.

      3. Allen feels a Banner 9 guide and video would be helpful, and Jen agreed a centralized video explaining the way to do things is needed.

  9. Update - Information Security (Keith/Colin): Colin reported he and Keith would be amending the classification of multifactor information. Looking at Connect Lehigh as the place to place this. Timeline and key areas will be forthcoming.
  10. Update - Use Lehigh credentials to log into Banner (Colin Foley) - Time did not permit discussion of this topic.

Next Meeting Thursday, August 10, 10:00am – 11:30am - EWFM 625

July 13, 2017 Meeting Attendance

Area

Name

Present


Chair - LTS Project Management

Rose Anne Martinuzzi

Ö

Internal Audit

Walt Conway

Ö

Admissions – UG & Graduate – FinAid, Faculty

Jennifer O'Brien

Ö

Admissions - Undergraduate

Bruce D. Bunnick

 

Admissions – Undergraduate & Fin Aid

Julian Kluk

 

Admissions – Undergraduate & Fin Aid

Nick Shimmel

 

Advancement

Sean Shappell

 

Financial Aid

Jennifer Mertz

 

Finance – AP & FA, Gen Attg, HR

Kathy Miller

Ö

Finance/Payroll

Robert Siegfried

 

Finance – AP, Gen Actg

Leslie Snow

 

Finance - Asset Accounting

Tracey Burton

 

Finance - Budget

Steve Guttman

 

Finance - Budget

Mike Weaver

 

Finance - Budget

Warren Loller

 

Finance - Grants

Bob Siegfried

 

Finance - Proposals

Tom Meischeid

 

Finance - Purchasing

Mark Ironside

 

Finance - Purchasing

Jane Altemose

 

General

Mary Louise Powers

Ö

Human Resources/Payroll

Toni Lee Febbo

Ö

Human Resources/Payroll

Chris Samuel-Maynard

 

Institutional Research

Yenny Anderson

Ö

Institutional Research

Henry Zheng

 

Student

Linda Bell

 

Student

Allen Taylor

Ö

Student

Nick Shimmel

 

Student

Casey Petroski

 

Student - Billing

Mike King

 

Student - Billing

Diana Weaver

 

Student – Faculty

Jen O’Brien

Ö

LTS Information Security

 Keith Hartranft

Ö

LTS Information Security

Colin Foley

Ö

ES

Rich Bauer

Ö

ES

Susan Donchez

 

ES

Mark Granieri

 

ES

Debbie Feldman

 

ES

Manny Pena

Ö

ES

Greg Skinner

Ö

ES

Ron Wagner

Ö

ES

Randy Wambold

Ö

ES

Kurt Weber

 

ES

Mike Aversa

 

  • No labels