Child pages
  • 2017-05-11 Data Governance Meeting Minutes
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Data Governance and Standards Meeting Minutes
Thursday, May 11, 10:00am – 11:00am
Fairchild-Martindale Library, Room 625

 

Previous minutes available at: https://confluence3.cc.lehigh.edu/display/ltsgov/Meeting+Minutes

The following was discussed at the meeting.

  1. Rose Anne Martinuzzi reported there were no first or second reads for proposals https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XLdB10pYzESmuZuLLr0FAChvGBOlOYZt-QW-RmDC-9E/edit#gid=1159476906
  2. Announcement: Pat Johnson has approved adding Bob Siegfried as a Data Manager for Finance/General (in addition to Kathy Miller) and for HR/Payroll (in addition to Kathy and Toni Lee Febbo). He will also be responsible for approving tickets in those areas.

Rose Anne reported she recently received an email from Bob Siegfried notifying her that Pat Johnson had appointed him as the Data Manager for both Finance/General and HR/Payroll. Rose Anne questioned Toni Lee Febbo whether or not she wants or needs to be a second approver? Toni Lee indicated she is fine with Bob since she is confident he wouldn’t give an approval she wouldn’t agree with. Kathy Miller was asked the same question and indicated she would get back to Rose Anne.

In other discussion:

a)     Rose Anne also reported there is an addendum to the Software Acquisition Policy. There was a recent purchase that went through the process, however now that the contract is in negotiations; there are now voiced concerns by a Data Manager. This issue is now delaying both the contract and project implementation. It will be written into the policy that the data steward needs to approve a purchase even if Keith Hartranft has already vetted the software for security purposes. Keith added another reason to have the data steward look at software being considered for purchase is that some data might require remapping before storing in a repository since data from one provider may not match that of another.

b)    Casey Petroski mentioned she would like to submit a proposal to review the record retention policy for Admissions, both Graduate and Undergraduate. The current record retention policy really only addresses undergraduate admissions documents and she would like to expand on it to include graduate admissions documents. She discussed this with Linda Bell and it was suggested this issue be brought to the Data Stewards group. She needs guidance on where to start.

  • Rose Anne questioned whether this group should consider this issue?
  • Keith suggested if there are revisions, to consider whether or not they cross into other data stewards’ areas, or is it just a Student data retention issue? Revisions that are approved by the department or group they pertain to should just be submitted to Legal for review. Keith offered to do this for Casey.
  • Jen O’Brien clarified that this issue gets complicated. They are getting their own licenses now for graduate admissions, so do they still need to send that on to the Registrar?

Rose Anne indicated some of these issues have already been discussed with the people involved. BDM has a Document Retention Manager, however it has not been purchased. Until this is implemented, all documents in BDM will need to be manually removed. To date, all documents are being retained past the defined document retention periods.

c)     Leslie Snow commented she is looking for documentation of the procedure to use if something should go wrong or if something should happen to Lehigh’s electronic records. We all use the same software, so what happens if something goes wrong with the server(s) where information is stored?

  • Keith noted Lehigh does a daily backup of data and offered to give Leslie’s office a presentation on data recovery.

Leslie remarked she is looking for broad and general data recovery procedures for everyone, not just her area.

  • Keith indicated there are different actions for the different areas where information is stored (I Drive, Common Space, Google Docs, etc.).

3. Preferred Name (Jen O’Brien)

Jen reported that a few students reached out to Ilena Key in LTS after there was an approval to change their name to a preferred name on their ID cards. Students began asking to do this in other places. She and some others were not aware of this change. Jen indicated she would get back on track to put a policy through, but needs to wait until Banner 9 is in place because Banner 8 lacks the functionality to do this.

  • Rose Anne asked if this could be done in Course Site?

Jen recommended waiting until Banner 9 is in place. This information is in Banner General and expressed concern that no one knew about this change.

  • Allen Taylor noted this might also impact the area of student transcripts.
  • Yenny Anderson commented when these types of changes take place without an actual university policy in place it’s a problem.
  • Keith pointed out Access Control probably doesn’t know that the Student ID is used for these other functions.

Jen feels everyone should be aware of the functions of other campus offices, not just functions within their own silo. Conversation followed.

  • Keith disagreed. This is not a legal ID. When the issue of recording who is at a Lehigh campus frat party came up, it was noted that the Student ID is not a legal ID. If Lehigh is accepting this as an ID for identifying someone, he’s not certain it should be used for that purpose. When he questioned if Lehigh’s campus police would be accepting this form of ID he didn’t receive a clear answer, but Keith indicated he feels that answer should be no. Recently there was a discussion about Wells Fargo providing the ID, and also discussions about possibly ping-ponging and using this as a swipe card or as an ID card.
  • Allen feels the ID card is a way to identify a person as being connected to the university.
  • Kathy feels more information is needed to continue this discussion. To learn more about what is involved she suggested inviting Chief Shupp and/or Will Hlay from the IDEAL office to a future meeting.
  • Keith noted that the preferred name would not match things like Course Site. We need to think about this on a university-wide basis.

Jen feels this is going to become a larger issue. This committee feels we are the main users of databases, but we don’t have the IDEAL Office represented on the Data Governance and Standards Committee. In the future what’s to stop faculty members from changing their name?

  • Keith pointed out that we (faculty included) already have the ability to change names on email to show an alias.
  • Rose Anne noted this is going to also involve knowing how Bursar accounts are updated.

4. Data Standards Manual – ready for individuals to update

Rose Anne reminded the group that the data standards manual still needs to be updated and asked for people to report on the following individual updates:

1)    Update - STVSBGI Clean Up Taskforce (Casey Petroski)

  • Casey had no updates to report.

2)    Update - Supplemental Data Engine (Allen Taylor)

  • Allen had no supplemental updates.

3)    Update - Address format clean up Taskforce (Allen Taylor/Diana Weaver)

  • Allen had no update.

4)    Update - Person Record/Common Matching Taskforce (Nick Shimmel)

  • Nick Shimmel was not present to provide an update.

5)    Update - Banner 9 (Manny Pena)

Manny reported his group just did the Banner 9 upgrade this past weekend. Next step, Allen Taylor would like registration put in, there are a few steps required for that process. Manny would like to get all of the admin pages installed to replace forms and this will take some transition. He will share the appropriate guides. Once the new pages are used we’ll be able to get away from the Java and browser issues.

6)    Update – Information Security (Keith Hartranft)

Keith had no updates to report, but he indicated he would like to return to the retention policy. He feels this group should revisit it, and he will ask people to review their sections and add sections for records that they are now keeping that weren’t in the original policy. He would be happy to look at what Casey wants to include and he could do this for the next meeting.

  • Allen doesn’t feel he can be prepared by the June meeting because his department is short two staff members who have been out on medical leave. He would rather wait until after graduation to work on this.

Keith is fine and indicated he’s not pushing the discussion or setting a deadline, but suggested to perhaps have this ready for the October 2017 Board of Trustees meeting.

  • Rose Anne asked Keith if it would be helpful to ask people to bring a list of all the document types they are currently scanning into BDM?

Keith indicated yes.

7)    Update - Use Lehigh credentials to log into Banner (Colin Foley)

  • Colin Foley was not present to provide an update.

Next Meeting Thursday, June 8, 10:00am – 11:30am - EWFM 625

 May 11, 2017 Meeting

Area

Name

Present/

Absent

Chair - LTS Project Management

Rose Anne Martinuzzi

Present

Planning and Administration

Sherri Yerk-Zwickl

 

Internal Audit

Walt Conway

Present

Admissions – UG & Graduate – FinAid, Faculty

Jennifer O'Brien

Present

Admissions - Undergraduate

Bruce D. Bunnick

 

Admissions – Undergraduate & Fin Aid

Julian Kluk

 

Admissions – Undergraduate & Fin Aid

Nick Shimmel

 

Advancement

Sean Shappell

Present

Financial Aid

Jennifer Mertz

 

Finance – AP & FA, Gen Attg, HR

Kathy Miller

Present

Finance/Payroll

Robert Siegfried

 

Finance – AP, Gen Actg

Leslie Snow

Present

Finance - Asset Accounting

Tracey Burton

 

Finance - Budget

Steve Guttman

 

Finance - Budget

Mike Weaver

Present

Finance - Budget

Warren Loller

 

Finance - Grants

Bob Siegfried

 

Finance - Proposals

Tom Meischeid

 

Finance - Purchasing

Mark Ironside

 

Finance - Purchasing

Jane Altemose

 

General

Mary Louise Powers

Present

Human Resources/Payroll

Toni Lee Febbo

Present

Human Resources/Payroll

Chris Samuel-Maynard

 

Institutional Research

Yenny Anderson

Present

Institutional Research

Henry Zheng

 

Student

Linda Bell

 

Student

Allen Taylor

Present

Student

Nick Shimmel

Present

Student

Casey Petroski

Present

Student - Billing

Mike King

 

Student - Billing

Diana Weaver

 

Student – Faculty

Jen O’Brien

Present

LTS Information Security

 Keith Hartranft

Present

LTS Information Security

Colin Foley

 

ES

Rich Bauer

 

ES

Susan Donchez

Present

ES

Mark Granieri

 

ES

Debbie Feldman

Present

ES

Manny Pena

Present

ES

Greg Skinner

Present

ES

Ron Wagner

 

ES

Randy Wambold

Present

ES

Kurt Weber

Present

ES

Mike Aversa

Present

  • No labels