Provision your Course in Course Site
You first need to provision Panopto to your course.
- Find the Panopto block in the lower right hand side of your course. Click the "Provision Course" link.
- You will be redirected to a new page, notifying that your course has successfully been provisioned, your students will now be able to access the videos you make in Panopto through your course.
- Click on the "back to course" link – and you will now see more options in your updated Panopto Block.
3. If this is your first time using Panopto on your machine, will need to download the recorder. Click on the Download Recorder link for your particular operating system - Windows or Mac. Download and follow the instructions to install the recorder. Once the Recorder is installed, it will be available on your machine.
Currently, the Recorder software is slightly different between the Mac and Windows operating systems. This documentation features screen shots from the MAC versions of the Recorder. Links are provided below to video tutorials for the PC version as well. However, the basic functionality remains the same for both the MAC and PC versions of the Panopto recorder.
Make your first recording in Panopto
Please note: You will need to have a camera and microphone on your machine to record a video.
- To make your first recording, you should go to the Panopto block in course site and click on the "course setting" links to open the default Panopto folder for your course. This will authenticate you automatically and make sure your video is associated with the correct course.
- You can then click on the create button in the Panopto website and select "Record a new session".
- The Panopto recorder will then open.
3. Verify that you are in the correct folder.
- The folder drop down will include any courses for which you are the instructor and Panopto is provisioned. The course which you opened Panopto from should be the course folder selected by default.
4. Name your lecture.
- The Session is the name of the recording, i.e., Lecture 1. The session name is required and will default to the day, date, and time. You can change this later if needed.
5. Make sure you have the appropriate video and audio source picked.
- The primary source is typically the presenter of the video (you) and will appear in the upper left. If you would like to simply record your computer screen(s) without an image of you, change your primary source video to none. Make sure your audio is still being captured, so you can record a voice over if desired.
- If you would like to record ONLY your powerpoint with an image of you or any other computer displays such as your desktop, set your primary source video to your camera, change both secondary sources to none, and make sure capture (or record) powerpoint is checked. When you launch your powerpoint in slide show mode- Panopto will begin the recording eliminating the need to edit or trim the sections of the video.
- If you would like to record ONLY your powerpoint without an image of you or any other computer displays such as your desktop, change your primary source video to none, change both secondary sources to none, and make sure capture (or record) powerpoint is checked. When you launch your powerpoint in slide show mode- Panopto will begin the recording eliminating the need to edit or trim the sections of the video.
- If you select both two secondary (subject matter) video sources, you can allow your presentation as well as your desktop (or other possible displays sources) to be recorded.
6. Once you have the settings as you want them, click the Start Recording button.
Your video will be available by default in your course in the panopto block.
Recording with Panopto for Windows: https://howtovideos.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=3912c258-9119-4235-b615-308f61aabbf8
Recording with Panopto for Mac: https://howtovideos.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=75e4740c-b80c-4070-9e57-0380515fb014