Some Lehigh University systems are protected by our Internet firewall, and require you to use our VPN (Virtual Private Network) software to gain access from off-campus. Lehigh uses Cisco's AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client to provide this service, which creates a secure tunnel through the Internet into Lehigh's network.
Basic Installation of VPN Client:
First, you'll need to download and install the VPN client software onto your computer, phone or other device. Follow the installation instructions for your device.
- Software for desktop and laptop computers can be downloaded from our campus software repository or from the VPN server itself at vpn.lehigh.edu.
- For Android, search for 'Cisco Anyconnect' in the Google Play store.
- For iOS (iPhone, iPad), search for 'Cisco Anyconnect' in the Apple App Store.
Second, in all cases, you'll need to configure the software to connect to vpn.lehigh.edu.
The software will present an option for "GeneralAccess" or "LibraryResources".
- GeneralAccess routes only network traffic destined for Lehigh through the VPN tunnel. It's more efficient, and should be the default option.
- LibraryResources routes all of your network traffic through the VPN to Lehigh's campus network. This option is needed to connect to some Lehigh Library services that require it, or if you're on an un-secured wireless network, and want to encrypt all of your traffic.
The software will also require you to enter your Lehigh username and password. Note - If you have Duo configured for two-factor authentication (2FA), you'll need to enter "push" in the second authentication box in order to generate a push request to your mobile phone.
Once you make the connection, you should be able to visit websites and systems that require the use of VPN.