The first step in connecting to and using a network printer is finding out it's network name.
- Devices on the Lehigh network are given hostnames that can be used interchangeably with their IP addresses.
- Printer hostnames follow a naming convention:
- These hostnames can be found in a number of places, but not all of the places have the same printers listed.
- Most printers at Lehigh now have names in the 'printer' subdomain, like "iacocca-rma322-hp4015.printer.lehigh.edu"
- Most printers have built-in webservers, such that you can enter their names into the address bar of a browser to see if they're online, and you have the right name.
Printer Name Sources
- The LTS Computing Site Printers List (LTS Computing Site Printers in confluence)
- The printers.cc.lehigh.edu install share (Most departmental printers)
- Note: All printers listed on the printers.cc share are in the "printer.lehigh.edu" subdomain, so a listing like "iacocca-rma322-hp4015" refers to a printer with the full name "iacocca-rma322-hp4015.printer.lehigh.edu".
- The HelpDesk
- Your Computing Consultant
- A label on the printer itself