Lehigh offers several ways to manage email lists, including listserv software, email nicknames, Course Site, and most recently, Google Groups. Google Groups are ideal for informal groups such as student clubs, department or team communications, or project communications. Some features of Google Groups include:
- Group managers have many options for setting up a group in terms of the group's privacy, moderation, signon and signoff, and group structure.
- Groups can be email-based, web-based (accessed and read via the web), or both.
- Groups can be largely self-managed -- individuals can sign in and sign off without involving the group manager.
- Groups via Google are easy to administer.
- Groups are integrated with google "sharing" and can be used both in calendar and drive as well as for traditional mailing activities.
If you are considering a group, contact the help desk (8-HELP) or your computing consultant to discuss your needs in more detail.
Introduction to Groups
Google Groups makes it easy for Lehigh students, faculty, and staff to communicate and collaborate over topics of common interest. Groups can be used as web forums, mailing lists, collaborative inboxes, and Q&A forums.
Each Lehigh Google Group receives a Lehigh Google Group email address (ending in “@lehigh.edu”). The Group’s email address can be used to send and receive email, share content, and send Google Calendar invites to Group members.
How to Access Lehigh Google Groups
- Go to https://www.lehigh.edu/google
- Click Groups
- From your Google Groups Home screen, you can
- Click on My groups to go to a list of groups you belong to
- Click CREATE GROUP to create a group
- Click Browse all to browse and search for groups to join
Join and Post to a Group
You can join any group within the directory that’s open to new members. Some groups allow you to join directly while others may require you to send a request--once the request is approved by the group manager or owner, you’ll become a member of the group. Learn more about joining and posting to groups here:
Adjust Your Membership Settings
After joining a group, you can use your group membership settings to customize your name and email address in a group, whether or not you show your photo and a link to your Google profile, and how often you receive email from the group. Learn more here:
Unsubscribe from a Group
You can stop receiving emails from a group by either leaving the group, or changing your settings. Learn more about unsubscribing:
Create a Google Group
Learn how to create a Google group here:
Configure your Google Group settings for increased security
Adjust Your Group Settings
Learn more about customizing and changing groups settings here:
Add Members to Your Group
Learn how to add members to your group:
Use Google Calendar with Google Groups
Learn how to share Google Calendars with Google Groups:
Adjust Group Permissions
Learn how to adjust group permissions:
Group Administrative Tasks
Learn more about administrative functions you can do within your group:
Google Groups Policies & Limits
Learn about group policies and limits here: