There are two methods to transferring content from one course to another.
1) Importing Content: This method should be used if you have access to the course that has the content you want to move.
2) Restoring a File from Course Back-Up: This method is only to be used when you no longer have access to the course site that had the content.
1) Importing Course Content
Course activities and resources may be imported from any other course in which you have editing permissions. This will allow you to re-use instead of re-creating one or more activities or resources. Import course data does not include any student data, e.g. forum posts or submitted assignments!
Go into the old course that contains the content to be copied:
Go to Administration Block >> Course Administration >> Edit Settings
CHECK COURSE NAME
- Note the exact Course full name or short name in case you need to search for it in the import course list.
- We suggest that you simply copy the Course short name to your clipboard from the edit course settings page.
- Note how many topic areas/weeks are in the old course
- If your old course has more topics than your new course, you will need to unhide those additional sections in the new course once copied
- If your old course has less topics than your new course (Default is 17), you will not need to take any additional steps
Go to the new course.
Go to Administration Block >> Course Administration >> Import
- On the Find a course to import data from: page, select the old course that contains the content to be copied.
- Note - that you may need to search for that course if it does not appear in the list. You will need to search for the exact short name of the course, i.e., "MGT-301-010-SU12." If you copied the exact name of the old course as described in a previous step, simply paste it into the Search field and click on Search.
- When you locate the course that contains the content to be copied, click on the button to the left of the name to indicate your selection.
- Click Continue. This will step you through the import process.
- On the Backup Settings page, choose the general category (activities, blocks, filters) of items to be copied - by default all are selected. In general, those are good options. Click Next.
- On the next page, you will be prompted to select individual resources, activities, labels, basically all items that were added in the topic areas in the old course - by default, all are selected. You may choose to copy specific items only by un-checking the boxes to the right of the items. In order to import an item from a topic area, you must also have that topic area checked!
- Uncheck any assignments or activities that use Turnitin before proceeding. Turnitin assignments cannot be copied.
- Other items such as Perusall Assignments and Google Assignments cannot be copied and will need to re-added as well.
- You may also need to provision your course for Panopto and move any Panopto Videos that you wish to share from previous courses to your current courses's Panopto folder.
- After you have verified that you have selected and unselected the correct items: Click Next.
- On the Confirmation and Review page, scroll down to confirm your choices.
- A green checkmark to right right of an item indicates that it will be imported into the new course, a red x means that it will not.
- Click Perform import button to import the content.
- This may take up to a few minutes, depending on the amount of material you are importing. Please be patient and do not click that button multiple times! Your browser should give you some indication that the system is working on your request and you should see a page that indicates the progress of the import.
When the import is complete, you will see the message, Import complete.
- Click continue to return to the course.
Your materials should now be visible in the new course.
2) Restoring From a Course Backup File
This method is used to restore a course that is no longer available on course site. For instance, if you have downloaded a backup file (in .MBZ format) and you need to restore from this back file.