In order to access many University computer systems from off campus, you'll need to connect to them over the internet through our VPN (Virtual Private Network). The VPN server acts as a gatekeeper, granting access only to Lehigh users, and requires the use of a specific piece of client software: Cisco's AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client, which creates a secure tunnel through the Internet into Lehigh's network.
- First, you'll need to download, install and configure the VPN client software onto your device (computer, tablet, phone). Follow the installation instructions for your device:
- On starting a connection, the software will ask for your Lehigh username and password, a Two-factor Authentication Prompt, and present an option for "GeneralAccess" or "LibraryResources". Set your 'Group' option first as follows:
- GeneralAccess routes only network traffic destined for Lehigh through the VPN tunnel. It's more efficient, and should be the default option.
- LibraryResources routes all of your network traffic through the VPN to Lehigh's campus network. This option is needed for connections to some Lehigh Library database services that require it, or if you're on an un-secured wireless network, and want to encrypt all of your traffic.
- With the group set as desired, go ahead and log in with your Lehigh username and password, and supply your second factor as usual.
Once you make the connection, you should be able to connect to any Lehigh websites or systems that normally require you to be on-campus to access them.